Explorez la Loire à vélo!
The Loire Valley is renown for its enchanting Châteaux (castles), breathtaking gardens, green river valleys and delectable wines. It was once the historic playground for the French Royalty. Today, the quaint towns of Amboise, Angers, Blois, Monstreau, Orléans, Saumur and Tours continue to capture countless visitors seeking to discern its architectural and culture heritage.
One of the most fulfilling and affordable ways to discover this fairytale destination is on two wheels!
An affordable discovery of the Loire countryside on wheels
Explore castles, quaint historic towns and villages
Discover the world’s most scrumptious white wines of the Loire Valley
Enjoy the quintessential Loire Valley hospitality onboard the comfortable barge
DAY 1 – PARIS | COURS-LES-BARRES (D)
Meet your tour in Paris at Gard du Nord by 1500h. Depart by coach to at approximately 3:30pm to Cours-Les-Barres. Upon arrival check in to your cabin and settle in for an early evening in Cours-Les-Barres on board your barge.
DAY 2 – APREMONT | NEVERS – 50KM/31MI (B,L,D)
Today you will cycle to the historic village of Apremont. Discover a 12th-century Chateau and its picturesque gardens. Then, continue to Nevers, a 14th-century village surrounded by a beautiful French Oak forest where they harvest the oak used to craft French barrels for wine ageing.
DAY 3 – CHARITÉ-SUR-LOIRE | MÉNÉTRÉOL – 55KM/34MI (B,L,D)
Today, wake up in the village of Beffes. Cycle to the ancient Roman town of La Charité-sur-Loire. You’ll cross a 16th century stone bridge before arriving in this charming village. Take in views of the beautiful Notre Dame Church. Then, continue on to the eastern Loire Valley village of Pouilly Fumé, famed for its rich and textural style Sauvignon Blancs.
DAY 4 – SANCERRE | BEAULIEU-SUR-LOIRE – 50KM/31MI (B,L,D)
Craving French-style Sauvignon Blanc yet? Today, you might be! Cycle through the vineyards of Sancerre known for their juicy crisp white wines. Learn about its production and enjoy a few samples while taking in the scenery.
DAY 5 – CHÂTILLON-SUR-LOIRE | BRIARE 40KM/25MI (B,L,D)
Today, cycle to the historic locks of Châtillon-sur-Loire. The aqueduct will take you the Loire River towards St. Brisson. Witness one of the Loire Valley’s most enchanting castles before meandering your way back to the barge
DAY 6 – PONT CHEVRON | ROGNY-LES-SEPT-ÉCLUSES – 45KM/28MI (B,L,D)
Take the morning to explore the quaint town of Briare – home to a 400-year-old canal! Visit the château, town hall, church (with its modern mosaic), and the Émaux de Briare (the museum of enamels and mosaics). This afternoon, cycle to the idyllic castle setting of Pont Chevron and then on to discover a 16th-century castle near Bléneau.
DAY 7 – CHÂTILLON-COLIGNY | LA BUSSIÈRE – 50KM/31MI (B,L,D)
Cycle to the town of Châtillon-Coligny and discover the 12th-century Château, built by the Count of Sancerre. Pop into the lively local market before continuing on to La Bussière – home to an Abbey dating back to 1103. Continue your journey to the fabulous 17th century La Bussière castle, famous for its collection of ‘fish art’ and aquariums. Then return to Rogny via Escrignelles where you will spend your final night aboard your magnificent barge.
DAY 8 – TRANSFER TO PARIS (B)
Today, your tour concludes. You will be transferred by coach Paris Gard du Nord. Adieu!
- Return group coach transfer from Paris Gare du Nord train station to the barge
- 7 nights accommodation aboard a “category C” barge with ensuite facilities on a twin share basis (2 cabins with shared facilities ‑ discount applies, ask our office for details). The compact cabins are configured with bunk beds. If you are travelling by yourself you will be matched with another passenger. Single cabins are not available.
- Meals as indicated on your itinerary (does not include drinks). Continental breakfasts are served daily comprising of breads, cheese, ham, tea, coffee & juices. At breakfast you will prepare your packed lunch for the day (typically sandwiches, fruit and juice). Dinner will consist of three courses each night inclusive of either a pasta, vegetarian or meat dish. Special dietary requests can be catered for (e.g. lactose‑free and gluten‑free diet), however, a supplement will apply. Please advise if you have any special dietary requirements at the the time of booking.
- 24 speed ladies or men’s bike rental with lock and pannier. Electric bikes are available on request at the time of booking (a supplement applies and includes bicycle insurance). Men’s bike frames are for body heights of 170‑190cm or 185‑200cm and can be requested for ladies, so please advise your consultant. Only adult bike frames are available. The cyclist must meet a minimum height requirement of 150cm to meet safety standards.
- Visit to a château (entrance fee not included) and winery
- Information pack including route notes and maps (per cabin)
- Multilingual tour leader
- International flights
- Transfer to and from Gare du Nord in Paris. Kindly make your own way Paris Gare du Nord
- Mandatory Travel Insurance (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote)
- Optional Bicycle insurance (EUR26 per person payable locally, subject to change). Please note that normal travel insurance often does not cover loss or damage to rental bikes. The replacement value of the bikes is between €350‑400 approximately. If you do not take out bike insurance you will need to pay for the cost of the bike or repair of damages
- Helmets – mandatory on all bike tours and you are encouraged to bring your own well‑fitted helmet
- Entrance fees and excursions not specified
- Wifi and/or internet
- (Excess) Baggage Fees, pre-paid seat selection and return transfers from your place of residence to your departure and arrival gateways
- Lunches, dinners, and beverages not identified in your itinerary (the tap water on the barge is not suitable for drinking)
- Driver/Guide gratuities, optional sightseeing/excursions and items of a personal nature